What is Content Marketing?
Have you ever opened a web page and said to yourself: “this is exactly what I am looking for”? You navigate through the pages expecting to see where you are asked to pay but find none and you wonder why such a valuable information is offered free. You are intrigued by what you see and you begin to voraciously before the contents.
You seem not to get enough of the information. You are glued to the pages and you continue to consume content after content. You open pages after pages and at the end you feel very satisfied with what you have spent your time reading.
You bookmark the pages and keep coming back again and again to devour more and more content. That is exactly what good content is and don’t worry it’s actually free. Nobody is going to stop you any day with a gun to your head asking you to pay for all the information you have been enjoying.
The owners of those web pages actually want you to keep coming back for more. That is why they created such valuable piece of content and gave it all out without the fee. They want you to consume more of their contents. This is what content marketing is all about.
Meaning of Content Marketing
Content marketing includes all means through which businesses create and distribute highly valuable content to attract a targeted group of audience (their ideal customer).
They use such contents to create brand awareness and foster brand loyalty. They want to really add value to their customers while keeping in touch with them such that whenever these customers need any of the services the business offers, they (the business) would naturally be the first choice in their customers mind.
Importance of Content Marketing
Content marketing can be very powerful when done correctly because the long-term value of a loyal customer is far greater than that of several new or or loyal customers.
Recent statistics from statista show that about 59% of the global population (4.57 billion people) are active on the internet. More than 83% of this figure (3.81 billion) are active in social media.
What does this has to do with your business? Irrespective of where they are people in internet always consuming content (videos audio posts comments etc) if your business does not create some of those content they are engaging with daily then you should be worried: (People can’t buy from you if they don’t know or trust you). Creating your own content put your business in front of your customers.
Looking for more proof? According to content marketing institute (CMI) research shows that more than 72% of marketers agree that content marketing generate more leads and increases engagement. Below are some more reasons why you should seriously consider content marketing if you are not already marketing your own contents.
- Through content marketing, you add value to your customers and they naturally want to reciprocate.
- Content marketing earns the trust of your customers
- Content marketing helps you get feedback from your customers
- Content marketing helps you understand what your competitors are doing and so do better
- Content marketing educate customers about your business and create brand awareness
- Through valuable content, you attract customers for free without paying for adverts
- Content marketing opens up opportunities for partnership with other businesses
Types of contents
So now that you have understood that content marketing is important you’re not wondering which types of content to create. There are several types of content you can create online for your brand. The most common types of contents include:
- Videos: contents in video format includes any combination of audio text and images (still and motion). Examples of content in video format include vlogs animated gifs webinars and live streams.
- Audio: this includes contents that I created to be listening to a good example of audio content is podcast. Other examples include audiobooks recorded interviews
- Infographics: this is a way of presenting a detailed information/instruction using text and images/icons. Take a look at this infographic here.
- Written content: this includes all types of content in text format. It could be blog posts social media posts, PDF ebooks articles etc.
Other types of contents may include charts, surveys, puzzles, checklists, games, etc.
The type of content you will use will depend on your goals (what you want to achieve through them) and the channel you are using to distribute your content (blogs social media YouTube search engines etc) . Generally you should feel free to use any combination of these formats that meets your need.
So now that you have understood what content marketing is all about what next?