Imagine waking up in the morning. You pick your car keys and get your garage. You insert the key and turn on the ignition. You pull out from the garage and find yourself on the road. You zoom off without having any place in mind. Then you pull into any turn that catches your eyes. And you keep driving.
After about 3 hours drive, you pull to the side of the road, come out from your car and ask yourself “where am I”. You’d be more confused than a chameleon in a bag of Skittles.
To make matters worse, you don’t have a GPS or a map to trace your way back. You don’t even have a cell phone. You are stuck for real. You have to beg people to help you find your way back. You don’t want to be in a situation like this. This is why you need a content strategy. you said he turns of money and time so that you have a road map you can follow to achieve your content marketing goals.
The steps below will help you to create your own content strategy and be confident that what you are doing is going to help you achieve your goals.
- Set Your Goals: defining your goal should be the first step in your content marketing strategy. Whether it’s blogging, video or any other type of content. You don’t want to spend time and money creating and promoting your content without getting return on investment(ROI). You should clearly outline the goals of your content before you start creating them. This will help you tailor your content in a way that will benefit both you and your audience.
- Define your audience: understanding your audience should be your priority because if nobody reads (watch/listen to) your content then all your efforts will be in vain. Identifying your audience we help you better understand the type of content to create for them and the medium you will use to reach out to them. It will help you to find out what resonates with them and where they hang out.
- Create your own content map: your content map will be your guide to producing regular high quality content. It will help you to understand what type of content to create at each point in your content journey. It will give you the right direction at all times and will come to your rescue when your well runs dry.
- Consistency: plan on how frequently you are going to be releasing contents to your audience. It will serve you better if you release your content at a regular basis (Daily weekly monthly). This will make your audience anticipate your content and be ready to receive them when they are released. Think of your own favourite show that you watch every week. You know the day and time and you look forward to watch it every week.
- Contact management: your content strategy will not be complete if you do not plan on how to produce your content. are you going to produce your can’t tell any house or are you going to outsource it to another company. If you are creating your content in the house who will be in charge of writing editing approval etc. If you are sourcing your content who will you be outsourcing it soon. Who will manage contract between you and the company you are outsourcing to.
Creating your content may seem like a daunting task but if you have a roadmap, it would me much easier.