Why would anyone spend their time reading/listening to what you have to say/offer? Why would they choose your content over millions of others out there? Because you are smart? No! Because it is free? Well, millions of others are free too. Because you have the best advert? You may be disappointed too.
Everyone that is on internet is looking for something (even those in social media and looking to engage and interact with others) . And it’s only when you are going to instructions to solve their problems that people pay attention to you. The only way to get people’s attention is to speak directly to them. Talk about what matters most to them (their pains and their problems). You have to convince them that you understand their plights and that you can help them solve their problems.
So how exactly do you do this?
- Understand your customers: the first step in creating good content is to understand who you are creating your content for. You have to understand who your audience is and what they really want. Possibly you should create your audience persona. This will help you to connect with them. To get to them, you need to think like them, feel their pain, and understand their utmost desire. You have to talk about their problems.
- Write powerful headlines: your headline is the most important part of your content. Weather is it is it you blog or any other type of content the first thing that people see you is the title of your content. It’s the tattoo that determines whether they continue Reading/watching or whether to go and find something more interesting. Spend a lot of time money your subject headline. Why creating your headline highlight the benefits that your audience will get from the content. Caution: Do not make false promises in your headlines. Make sure your headline adequately describes your content
- Engage with your audience: make sure that your content is engaging. It should be about your audience not about you. Create a dialogue. Ask questions. Let there be a flow in your content. Your audience need to feel that your content is specifically created for them and that you are talking to them directly.
- Tell a story: people love stories. Stories create emotions in people. Use stories to add flavour to your content and connect with your audience. While using stories, make sure they are relevant to your content and that you do not overdo it; people do not have all the time in the world. So your story should not make your content longer than necessary, it should naturally blend with it.
- Use Images: there is no harm in adding images to your written content to help your audience understand better. It is said that a picture is worth more than a thousand words. Pictures tell stories that words may not be able to tell in several times. So when creating your contents, add pictures that demonstrate what you are talking about. Even if you can’t find images you could use illustrations, graphs or charts. However you need to watch the size of your images because it can affect the loading speed of your webpage.
- Add authoritative sources: quoting authorities can add power and credibility to your content. It could be a statement from an expert in the field or statistics from research. Regardless of what type of authority it is, people want to be sure that your information is authentic and not just any random information/ thoughts. Be sure to find relevant statistics from trusted sources and use them to polish your contents and convince your audience that you will know what you are talking about.
- Create result-oriented contents: when creating your contents, make sure it is educative and practicable. It should include action steps that your audience should follow to get results from your content. For each content you create, have a goal or objective about what your customers or audience can achieve by going through your contents. When your customers get immediate value/results from your content, it will make them trust your content and be eager to get more.
Now you have them: 7 steps that you can take to create highly valuable contents that would attract customers to your website. So now get to work and start creating powerful contents that will get people’s attention and drive traffic to your website.